Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Straw bale planting


I found an interesting article about growing vegetables in straw bales and decided to try it this year.  It proved to be successful, but  I will try a couple things different next year. 
   (1)  Start the straw bales that I'll use next year this fall instead of next spring. The decomposition of the bales will be farther along when I plant seeds in them next year.  Make sure the straw in the bale is in the vertical position to allow the elements to penetrate easier.
       (2)  Make bigger pocket holes in the bales that I put potting soil in.  This will give the roots of the plants more room to develop before starting to expand into the straw.                                          
     (3) Add a rope or something around the bale to keep it together better than the 2 pieces of twine that came with the bale.  I had one piece of twine rot and break from the weight of a sunflower I planted.   
     (4) Place the bales on the perimeter of the garden.  They also work well as benches if the plants don't take.  Be advised...  the bales do have a distinct "odor" after the rain when the sunshine heats them up...
                                                        
This bale has Swiss Chard, a sunflower and Nasturtium that did well.  A cucumber did not.  I think I needed more dirt inside the bale when I first planted the seeds.
This bale has a Kale plant that is doing very well and a sunflower that liked it also.


 Plant Inn Raised Garden (Google Affiliate Ad)

Zen Grass Garden Plant Cube Kit (Google Affiliate Ad)


No comments:

Post a Comment