Saturday, July 30, 2011

tomato trellis

I came across an article in the newspaper showing a tomato trellis that a local nursery used.  I decided to give it a try and build one this year.  I used 1" x 2" furring strips for the frame work.  I ran the vertical strings spaced out about 6" apart.


It is 4 ft wide at the base, 6 ft long and 7 ft tall.
I have 3 tomato plants in the trellis
The branches of the plants can be easily woven into the vertical strings to keep them growing straight.
I did add some more cross members on the sides to support the branches.  These guys just keep growing!



ThermoQuick 110 Compost Bin (Google Affiliate Ad)
Suncast Tomato Tower Garden Station (Google Affiliate Ad)

2 comments:

  1. This is probably a silly question but I am new at this. Did you tie the top of each plant to the string to hold it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the plants grow vertical, I weave the branches into the twine... every plant keeps going up...

    ReplyDelete